Thursday, April 29, 2010

Johnny Thunders & Courtney Love

Growing up on Long Island we went flea marketing each week at either Huntington or Bay Shore. Both were located in Drive In facilities. My quest each week was vinyl.

I usually paid 25 or 50 cents per album. The way I chose most of the time was by interesting album cover. Some I bought this way were Iggy Pop's Raw Power, Suzi Quatro's first two albums, and my all time favorite The New York Dolls. This album started me on a love affair that lasts to this day. My Dolls album is a promo. I bet I could get at least a buck for it now. : )

Anyway, I love me the Dolls. But, more importantly I worship Johnny Thunders. He was the first and the best. I've seen so many wannabes try to copy his style, and they all fall flat. No one who wears his Peggy Bundy hairstyle looks as good. No one who tries his swagger moves as well. Johnny is sorely missed in the 21st century. But life goes on... just not as much fun. He'd hate what New York City has become. Shows end now hours before he'd even get to a club.

Johnny also near the end of his life, formed a band that kept him as straight as he could be. They were a unit, but not in the way the Heartbreakers were. The Heartbreakers were sloppy, raw and magnificent. Johnny would ramble to the audience, cuss them, and then play half a brilliant song. They were magnificent to see, because you never knew what you were going to get. The unit which I believe were the Oddballs, played a specific set, and Johnny showcased his songs. His patter was down, his eyes were open. He was great as he always was, but the showmanship (and drug use) were down.

Which brings me to Hole and Courtney Love. Scratch that Courtney Michelle.

Courtney like Johnny recorded great albums. Each are limited in their vocal ability. Okay, lets be honest, neither are great singers. But, what they do, they do to the hilt, and they do it their way. God Bless them for that.

April 27, 2010 I went to Terminal 5 in NYC to see the re-mergence of Hole starring Courtney Michelle. This is Courtney and the Oddballs. There was no running, jumping, cussing the audience. Just Courtney standing in front of the mic singing her songs. She barely moved her feet, but to position them in an ever so cutesy pose. This was cute, adorable and professional Courtney. She must need the money bad.

I enjoyed the show, as did the audience. They listened to the new songs "Letter to God" is my favorite. As a matter of fact, she performed most of my faves from the new disc. Courtney knows the meaning of putting your best songs forward. She wants that big perfect pop song and she's done it with "Boys on the Radio", "Sunset Blvd" and now "Pacific Coast Highway". But, the audience went nuts over the early material.

What was missing is trouble-maker Courtney. When I saw her years ago at The Bowery Ballroom, she was all over the place. For the most part she sang while being crowd surfed. I remember leaving that performance and thinking, she's the female equivalent of Johnny Thunders. Oh how bad we need someone to fill his shoes. That Courtney show was incredible. This Hole show was very good.

Courtney needs to allow the entertainer to entertain. Drugs don't make you feel and react to the music, the music does. She has great songs, and a natural outgoing personality. Free it up, let it fly.

I'm looking forward to the Wellmont show late in June. I want to see if she's a little more Love then Michelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment